Skip to main content

It all starts with a dream ;)




I had a dream about you last night.



This, ladies and gentlemen, was a message I received not too long ago from an old friend.  An old boy-friend.  Wait.......let me clarify.....not a "boyfriend", but rather a "friend who is a boy".  I sound like I'm 5 years old right now.  Anyway.....

I used to think of this boy in a platonic way.....until I received that message.  A friend who I knew always liked me...but I didn't know "liked" me.  Know what I mean?  



I didn't quite know how to respond to this message. I sat there staring at my computer with a little smirk on my face.  This was a very happy development. I tried to write something funny (which is always my 'go-to') but I couldn't think of anything. This message really caught me by surprise.

Like any good writer, I needed some inspiration for my response.  I went on his Facebook page, and clicked on his 'Photos'.


Yup, that did it.  I was inspired. 

This man was a far cry from the "boy-friend" that I knew way back when.  His hair was longer, his face more chiseled, he had many, many more muscles, and he seemed taller.  Could you tell height from a picture?  At that moment, I really felt like you could.  Did I mention he had many muscles?

After ogling over countless pictures (mostly ones in which he was shirtless), I had finally come up with my perfect response.

"Was the dream good? ;)"  (the winkie said it all)

And then I added......

"Any chance you'd wanna get together and catch up?"

Before hitting enter, I took my fingers off the keyboard.  I bit my thumbnail, as I usually do when I'm nervous, the other hand tapping on my desk.  Ah, screw it.  

MESSAGE SENT.

A few hours later.......I had my Saturday night booked.  As for the dream, he said "Oh, it was good, probably inappropriate, but good ;)"  (<----please note the winkie face)


Ok. So now I was confused.  Was the dream inappropriate because we were friends and we don't cross that line?  Or did inappropriate not matter at this point, because we were both single and clearly interested in one another?  

When do things cross the line from being inappropriate, to deliciously appropriate? 

Well, of course I needed to research this dilemma, right?  It would be a sin not too ;) (<--- again... winkie)

Now, another dilemma comes with not knowing what type of dinner you are going to?  What do you wear?  What about red lips?  These are serious problems people.


As I checked and re-checked my outfit the night of the dinner, my sister sat and watched me run from one mirror to the next.  But I could tell she was getting frustrated with me.

"Do I look ok?  I don't normally wear tops like this.  It's too flowy.  Do I look fat?", I ran back into the bedroom to look for another shirt.
"Oh my God...don't over-think this!  It's just a reunion between old friends.  Ok?, my sister yelled from the family room.  She had no patience for stuff like this.
"I know, I know.  You're right", I yelled back while trying to stuff the blouse into my too-tight jeans.


But she  wasn't right.  She was wrong.  

There was something else to this, I just knew it.



I showed up at the restaurant just after our designated time.  A girl must show up fashionably late.

I scanned the room and immediately noticed him.  He looked good. Just like I remember him.....but better.  Like, an upgraded version.  Like how I just upgraded my phone to IOS7.  Now, it's smarter, runs faster, and looks sexier.  Like him ;)



After a quick hug, we immediately fell back into our old routine.  It was just like old times.  Very comfortable and very fun. 

At one point, as we were eating our dinner, the table fell silent.   And everyone knows what I do when things fall silent.  I blurt out inappropriate things.

"So......what was the dream about?"

He nearly choked on his food.  He immediately turned red and started laughing.  

He refused to tell me, but his reaction said it all.  This dinner date was becoming more and more delicious by the second.

After 4 hours of talking, laughing and flirting, it was time to leave the restaurant.  But I didn't want this to end.  I was having too much fun.  And I needed to see where this would go.

He suddenly snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Did you drive here?  Or do you need a ride?" he asked.

Hee hee. Perfect....I thought to myself.

"I'd love a ride. Thanks"


We walked to his car.  It was also an upgrade, and a far-cry from the city bus we used to take together back in the day.

He opened the door for me, and I sunk into the heated, leather seats.  When he sat down in the drivers seat, he looked over at me and smiled. 

"I'm glad you didn't drive", he said with a smirk.

I laughed.

He pulled the car out of the parking spot and onto the main street.  

And just as we were leaving the area......I took a quick glance back at my van.....which was parked just in the next lot.  And then I quietly slipped my car keys back into my coat pocket.


And just like that, I had appropriately crossed the line from friendship to something that was much more delicious ;)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Physiotherapy. Do you REALLY need it??

I’m going to start off today’s blog by saying……. “I know”. I know  that it’s been a LONG time since you’ve all heard from me. I also know  that your life is not complete without my stories.  I can only imagine that you’ve probably gone into SERIOUS withdrawals and have possibly had to turn to other sources for entertainment such as Netflix, or reading books that are not at all as tantalizing or enriching as my blog.  Or perhaps you’ve even felt compelled to turn to the negativity of…..dare I say it…..the NEWS!?  I hope to goodness you haven’t.  But regardless, I’m really sorry for the time I have been away and for the consequences you have had to endure as a result of my recent sabbatical. But guyssssss, I needed a BREAK!   Since I last wrote for you, it was not long after my invasive knee surgery……..which I have since learned was actually a REALLY big deal.  You see, many surgeries in which the knee is injured, the surgeon just goes in and cuts awa