Skip to main content

Gin Rummy anyone?




So since posting that last blog about "handsome guy", I have literally been hounded everyday by all of my acquaintances and readers wondering who this man is and what happens next between us.

Well, I will not divulge his name........ but I will tell you what happens next.

Now,  normally I would never post 2 back-to-back updates like this.  After all I've gotta keep you guys guessing and in suspense for that next entry ;)  

And what I would've normally done would be to post a blog in between about something else that was ridiculous and hilarious..... like how I purchased my new car.  

But I really feel like although you would LOVE my car post (that's a given), that's not at all what you want to read about right now.  Am I right??

(I can hear you all screaming YES!)

So let's post-pone my Mazda blog and get down to the nitty-gritty.  

The handsome guy.  

Enjoy ;)

ps - this is a disclaimer to all of my cousins (including handsome guy's best friend) that things may get a little heated in this entry.  So don't say I didn't tell you so!!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After our first date, we both left craving more.  And it wasn't long before we were planning date #2.

A couple weeks later we went to a restaurant near my home, in which the food and wine were almost as yummy as he was.

I was amazed at how quickly I turned into a completely giddy school-girl around this person - for even though I am a self-admitted awkward nerd, for the most part I am very cool (again - self-proclaimed).  

But seriously speaking, I don't date often because it is very rare for me to find a guy who gets me all "fajumbled"....in a good way. 

And this guy did just that.  

But that wasn't all.  He was also very kind, sweet and very respectful.  And for me (and most women) that goes a VERY long way.  


I also think this guy really liked me too.......


Halfway through our date, he smiled and said "wait right here", and ran to his car. He came back one minute later and handed me a shiny round gold token.  It kind of looked like a poker chip.  

"Just something I picked up for you from my trip last week", he said.

On one side it had a picture of 2 red wine glasses on it.  On the other side, was my name - Leo.

Yup, he definitely liked me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When we got to my house, he started to walk me to my front door.  But THAT, ladies and gents, was as far as he would get!

Yes, the chemistry between us was undeniable, but I did not want to do something I'd regret.  After all I really liked this guy.

So before I opened the door, I smiled and pointed right at his face and said  "Now listen!  This...is as far as you're gonna get ok?  This is just to kiss me goodbye,  THAT'S IT!"

He started laughing and with a smooth, rumbly voice he said  "Got it."

And he pulled me towards him, and like a gentlemen he kissed me goodbye...................for over an hour ;)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The following weekend I went out shopping with my girlfriend.  As we stood in line at Starbucks ordering our $17,000 coffees, she asked me how things were going with handsome guy.

"Excellent."  I said, "I really like him.  He's great, very fun, very sweet......and...."  I looked at her sideways and whispered "very sexy...." and I started giggling.

The barista handed me my super expensive latte and he smiled.

Clearly I wasn't whispering quietly enough, so I mouthed the rest of the words to her.  "I can't be alone with him!  I don't trust myself!  This guy drives me crazy!"

"Well, remember what Steve Harvey says in our book. Wait 3 months!" my girl-friend Jace said assertively ....and a little aggressively if I may add.

I thought of the book that I often referenced to all of my friends as the mecca of dating guidelines.  But right now my friend Steve was just being a royal pain in the ass.

"Ugh....3 months!  This is gonna be so hard!!"   And with that I drank my month's mortgage away.


But she was right.  

In order to take things to another level, it was important to stay strong and somewhat platonic.  At least that's what mecca says.

So if I wanted to play my cards right, I needed to listen to Steve Harvey.

Better yet, I should not be alone with handsome guy for at least 2 more months.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several weekends later we were going to meet up at the cottage again.  He with the cousins, and me at my cottage.  Luckily Mama and my sister always joined me so there was no worry about being alone at the lake with handsome guy.  So there would be no temptation whatsoever!

Just as I was packing up, Mama called me to tell me....(and don't forget the Polish accent) "So, you know dat me and Mishi are not going to da cottach vit you dis vee-kend right?"

GASP!!!!

She continued, "YA.  Mishi has some party and I am going to visit my friends.  But all da cousins are going.  So you will haf fun!"

Oh the for the love of God.  I was doomed.


HOLD UP!  Wait a sec!! What am I saying??   NO!!!  I was STILL in control here!  

I would just have to keep us busy and occupied with cottage activities all weekend!  It would be fine.  And if we ran out of things to do, I'd ask him to teach me how to play Gin Rummy - the most BORING and complicated card game in the entire universe.  That would take any spark out of the weekend.  

Perfect, my plan was set :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Shortly after I arrived to the cottage, we were laughing and catching up over a bottle of wine on the deck over-looking the lake.  Having learned that he had never been to the island, I squealed "You've NEVER been??  Oh my God, it's the BEST!  Let's go!!"  and we packed up the bottle of red, and the wine glasses and canoed to one of my favourite places ever.  

We sat on the rock, which was still hot from the day's sunshine, and talked for hours while watching passerby's in their boats.  Luckily we both behaved on our island trip and romance was kept to a minimum.  Little kisses .....often interrupted by my jealous dog Bruce Lee.  Good job Bruce!

But, back at the cottage, and after a big dinner with the cousins, one by one, the family had left us and retreated back to their place.

And it was me and him.  

Alone.

Again.

And what started off as him "helping me tidy the kitchen after dinner", resulted in another hot make-out session against the refrigerator door (what's with us and doors??).


Ok, this was going too far.

"Wait!"  I announced taking a breath, "We can't do this!  So....so you have to go!  Because.......well, because.....I REALLY like you. And I don't wanna mess this up, ok? There!  I said it!"


He took a step back.


Shit!   

I shouldn't have said that.  

Dammit!!  Now he's all freaked out!!  Why did I have to go and spill my guts??


But he said......."I really like you too Ludge", and he kissed me once more, smiled, and turned to leave.

Once he got to the door, I couldn't help myself..."Wait" I said.

He looked back at me.  But I didn't know what to say?  

I was so confused.


This is one of those moments in life where you have no clue what you're going to do next.  And you have no clue how the repercussions of your decision will affect the next chapter of your life.  

And especially, when there is someone else involved, that you really like, you have to wonder how your decisions will impact what happens between the two of you and where it takes you on your journey.  

Like in that proverbial game of cards, was it safest to keep playing, fold, or reveal your entire hand?

I had a feeling that there was something bigger here between us, but I wasn't sure.  And I didn't want to assume anything.  And if there wasn't, then I didn't want to get hurt.  

So I had to make a decision that I would be confident with, knowing that whatever happened, everything would work out just the way it was supposed to and that I would be fine.




So with that in mind, I finally made my decision.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


You're probably wondering what I decided and what happened next?





Well, all I'll say is......I definitely played my cards right.  

And sometimes.....just sometimes.......revealing your whole hand may be the best thing you could ever do.   

And just like that gold chip that he gave me on our second date, maybe he was betting on this thing too.


;)













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h